Sunday, July 17, 2011

Insectoid Sentient Messengers Part II: Mud Dauber

I got to actually see this strange looking wasp in action at the park yesterday.  I stopped to fill my water bottle at a fountain and there they were collecting the mud created by the run-off.


This creature came to visit me two weeks ago.  I was a little stressed because of delayed plans, and my throat was itchy, I wasn't feeling so well.  That was the onset of the allergies, which triggered the asthma.  I was able to take some over the counter meds containing Psuedoephedrine (literally fake ephedrine), the effects are minimal.  I only get sick when I become stressed, I only get stressed when things don't go my way.  So basically I'm trying to grow up, learn patience and keep stress to a minimal.  A work in progress, I'm an Aries, delays are my kryptonite.

Back to the mud dauber... she flew in through the open window, buzzed around the kitchen while I cooked lunch, and I said to her, "What do you want?"  She landed on a jar of basil, perched there for a few seconds and then flew out the window.  The basil was too dry, and flavorless, so I didn't add any to my food, but I neglected to find out more information about it until now.  In fact it went right over my head, but after the encounter with the Hawk-moth, I became a lot more interested in plants and their medicinal uses.

 
Basil has a number of medicinal uses:
  • Basil is used to aid relief from colds, influenza, stomach cramps, nausea, migraine, insomnia, low spirits and exhaustion.  
  • Sweet basil are used mainly for the treatment of different disorders of the digestive and the nervous systems, it is also used for the treatment of colic, and to treat cases of indigestion affecting people.
  • The remedies derived from the sweet basil are also used to treat intestinal worms in people affected by such parasites. 
  • The mildly sedative action of the sweet basil is used in the treatment of long term nervous irritability, physical tiredness, and symptoms of depression, long term and short term anxiety and to treat insomnia in different individuals. 
  • The herbal remedies made from the sweet basil have also been used in the treatment of disorders such as epilepsy, migraine whooping cough in children. 
  • Basil helps in inducing lactation in nursing mothers. 
  • The sweet basil herb is also used as a topical remedy for external application in the treatment of various skin disorders, insect bites, acne and ringworm.  
  • It is used as a gargle or mouthwash for thrush; as a bath herb for increased energy; and as eyewash for tired eyes.  http://www.indianmirror.com

Mud daubers build their nests from mud, its messy, and it takes a lot of time.  


Look at her, she's so patient and methodical.  If something happened to ruin her nest, she'd undoubtedly start over, what else is there for her to do?  I've put a lot of work into learning myself, my motivations, my intentions, my strengths and weaknesses.  I can't change them all in one day.  However, I can experiment with herbal remedies that may ease unnecessary stress and anxiety and possibly aid me in preventing myself from creating my own setbacks, such as depression and illness.  I will do more research and increase my intake of basil (mmm... Caprese) to see if it yields results.

Fun facts about basil:

Basil was once considered to belong to the Devil and was used in a remedy against witches. When an Italian suitor wanted to show his love he would place a sprig of basil in his hair to win his hearts desire. It is the same in Mexico where people would keep basil in their pockets in hopes that the man or woman that they loved would return their love forever. In Romanina, they followed much of the same legend, where the man would give basil to his love and they would officially be engaged. In ancient Rome basil has also long been revered. They called it Basilescus, which refers to the Basilisk, the fire-breathing dragon. As legend says, if you took basil every day then it would ward off attacks from the beast.  http://www.indianmirror.com

No comments:

Post a Comment