Sunday, July 10, 2011

Earthquake Cherry Popped

I experienced my first earthquake today.  It was a 3.4, about 30 km from my location, Rome.  The whole building shook.  I was lying in bed, and it started shaking, as well as everything in the room.  It wasn't scary, just different.  Even now, I can't believe the earth was shaking beneath me.  Its like a reminder that nothing is stable, everything is in constant motion, changing, unpredictable... love it! 

There was another in Sicily, 3.9, and Mt. Etna is erupting.  I'm visiting Sicily next month, still excited about going, probably even more now.  I want to see Mt. Etna erupting. 



I can't imagine what that would be like... scary, exciting, shocking.  I need that.   

Wake me up inside... Call me by my name and save me from dark... Breathe into me and make me real.  Bring me to life    - Evanescence


There was also an earthquake in Japan today, 7.1, tsunami warning in effect.  Thought provoking.  I feel sympathy for the people in Japan, for everything that they've been going through: Volcanoes everyday, 4.0+, nuclear disaster/contamination... that's a lot to deal with psychologically, everyday.  But I don't feel too much.  Two reasons:

Look where Japan is situated on the ring of fire.


Check out all the volcanoes they have there.



It shouldn't be a surprise that all this happening.  Personally, I feel that all of Japan should be evacuated, but what do I know?  A little volcano didn't stop Italians from rebuilding cities surrounding Etna. 

 

Everybody knows disaster doesn't strike the same place twice.




     

No comments:

Post a Comment